Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Insomnia-Driven Repeat Viewings

Movie: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
# of Viewing: 4th time
Better or Worse then previous: Better
New/Not so New observation: have gum, will travel


I have had a bad bout of Insomnia this last week. I'd mostly used the unrelenting, sleepless hours catching up on my favorite TV shows, but that can only last for so long. Tonight, or rather, this morning, I decided to watch a movie. When I have insomnia, my brain is at a slower processing rate so I like to rewatch films I really enjoyed. The last few months of my life have been pretty much a downer so I wanted something light, something funny. The perfect choice was Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. You might wonder how I can enjoy the same movie for th 4th time; the answer is simple. A good movie is like a good song. You listen to it as much as possible and it never gets old. After the 4th viewing, N&N still isn't old to me. I love the authentic feel to the film. I feel like I could be friends with those people and could see myself going on an adventure like that in NYC. The places feel more like actual destinations then ripoff sets. The music used in the film seems to fit every image. Its like the film's music is narrating NYC @ night. There's a song in the film by Paul Tiernan called "How To Say Goodbye"; it's a beautiful song and I feel like it truly captures the film's spirit.

Living isn't quite the same
You said to me, it's runnin' away.
If you're scared or tired of what you're scared of
Why should you stay
You love to say goodbye
And always counted all the time
'til he was free
to get up and leave
to learn how to breathe
again...

Slippin' out to have a cigarette
with someone else that he'd never met
Ask her if by the way would you like to
run away and try to forget
Just not to stay
To leave without saying why

To get up and go
To catch the last train
To get in some car and drive out again
To never come back this way
Left to say:

goodbye
so long
farewell
ovwar

goodbye
so long
farewell
ovwuar

Nick & Norah are two people who begin the film stuck in a rut and they make the choice to leave that all behind and start a new chapter in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment